Skip to content

RV Insurance

from Lang Insurance

RV Insurance

As with cars and motorcycles, you'll need to have insurance on your recreational vehicle (RV) to be able to drive it on the roads in the United States. One important caveat, though, is that most RV insurance policies will only cover you for up to 250 days of the year. While this is more than enough for most casual RV users, it may not be enough coverage if you intend to live in your RV full-time. You may need an additional rider on your policy to cover the full year. 

In any case, your policy will typically be required to include the following components: 

  • Bodily Injury Liability - If you cause an accident while driving your RV, this aspect of your coverage will pay the medical expenses of anyone who is injured in the accident. This coverage is required by law across the country, though the specific amount of coverage you need will depend on the state in which your RV is insured. 
  • Personal Property Liability - In addition to covering the other driver's medical bills, you'll also need to pay for any damage to their vehicle or other property. That's where personal property liability coverage comes in. If the accident was your fault, this coverage will only pay for damage to the other party's property, not your own. As with bodily injury coverage, each state has its own minimum requirements for coverage in this area. 

To provide even more protection for yourself, you can also add extra coverage. For example, you may wish to include collision coverage to pay for any damages to your RV when you are at fault in the accident. While this coverage is typically not required by law, you may be required to have it if you financed your RV purchase. Once you have paid off your loan, you'll usually have the option to reduce or remove this coverage if you so choose, though it is still a good idea to keep it for your own protection. 

Lenders may also require you to obtain coverage against uninsured or underinsured motorists. This coverage will apply in accidents where the other party is at fault but does not have insurance or has inadequate coverage. Your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage will fill in the gaps so that you don't have to cover any repairs and medical bills yourself. 

Get Started with RV Insurance 

Here at Lang Insurance, we will gladly assist you with all your RV insurance needs. Our RV specialists will work closely with you to determine how much coverage you need to comply with your state's laws and any requirements set by your lender, if you have one. Call us today or request a quote online to learn more.